Museums, galleries and archival institutions that house artifacts, artwork and historical documents need to be as concerned with employee health as they are with the treasures they help save. Conservators face harmful inhalation hazards that can have serious effects on their health. A study in 2009 conducted at the Polish National Museum found that 30% of employees at the museum were sensitized to at least one fungal allergen (penicillium, aspergillus, etc.) due to working conditions. Among the most caustic impurities in museums, galleries, libraries and archival storage facilities are gaseous pollutants like cellulose nitrate, sulfur oxide, ozone, mold, bacteria and particles that degrade textiles and paintings, as well as corrode and tarnish artifacts — not to mention the serious health risks they pose to conservators.
From formaldehyde (often used in natural history collections for fluid-preserved biological specimens) to acetic/formic acid (found in wood and wood products), conservators come face-to-face with toxic emissions resulting from conservation treatments. Electrocorp has simple, effective indoor air quality solutions that comply with OSHA standards and protect against airborne pollutants. Our air purification systems can be used to purify and filter air in large conservation rooms, or for select projects in which the conservator works hand-on and requires source capture.
Irritants are often associated with toxic solvents used in conservation techniques that can contain acetone, N-dimethylformamide (DMF), toluene, ethylene (ETO), trichlorehtylene, and xylene that are linked to cancer and often cause respiratory track irritation, headaches, dizziness, memory loss and other serious health problems. So, how do you protect your conservators from toxic chemicals, gases and odors?
- The Electrocorp Radial Air Purifiers (RAPs) represent an upgrade to our RSU industrial air scrubbers.
- Designed initially for clean rooms and critical care environments, our new RAPs are now capturing gas and particle phase contaminants in a broad range of industrial, commercial, home and office applications.
- The change in design from our more industrial looking RSU Series has allowed our RAP Series to be even easier to service.
- As with our RSUs, our RAP model air scrubbers eject the scrubbed air out of the top of the unit to the ceiling to create a room-wide ceiling-to-floor laminar airflow pattern for efficient contaminant control.
- UL/CSA listed blower - Continuous duty rated – run 24 hours - Internal thermal protection
- Available voltage - VAC: 115/60Hz or 220/50Hz
Electrocorp RAP (Radial Air Purifier) Series
Starting from $1298.98 USDElectrocorp RSU (Radial Scrub Unit) Series
Starting from $1098.24 USD